VID’s New President, David Siffert Presided Over the First Meeting of the New Year
Here’s his meeting wrap-up…
I would like to congratulate our new officers — Erik Coler as Treasurer, Kathy Slawinski as Recording Secretary, Ed Yutkowitz and Jonathan Geballe as Corresponding Secretaries. The 2019 Executive Committee includes Frieda Bradlow, Melissa Carty, Susan Gottesman, Laurie Hardjowirogo, Tiffany Hodges, Nadine Hoffmann, Jennifer Hoppe, Linda Jacobson, Nathaniel Johnson, Irene Kaufman, Cameron Krause, Alec Pruchnicki, Lois Rakoff, Deb Sherman, and Elissa Stein.
If you are interested in coming up to Albany on Tuesday, January 15, to lobby with True Blue NY for the People’s Platform, you can sign up here: https://goo.gl/forms/U8i1DKWmu186Z6ex2. There is a bus leaving from 14th St. and 4th Ave. at 7am, and Jonathan may be driving. Please get in touch if you are interested.
If you are interested in participating in postcard writing events, there are a few campaigns to encourage Florida voters to sign up to vote by mail:
- Sunday, Jan. 13, 2pm-4:30pm, near Washington square (Sarah O’Neill) – email for address: email@example.com
- Monday, Jan. 14, 9am-11am, Le Pain Quotidian, Bleecker & 6th Ave (Downtown Nasty Women)
There are also some campaigns to flip the Virginia legislature (RSVP here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sister-district-ny-12-13-14-postcards-to-virginia-tickets-54533754929)
- Sunday, January 20, Lower East Side, 2-5pm
- Sunday, January 20, Upper East Side, 3-6pm
- Thursday, January 24, Chelsea, 6:30-8:30pm
- Saturday, January 26, East Village, 2-4pm
For more events and actions, I highly recommend you sign up for the weekly United Thru Action (UTA) list — it’s put together by VIDers!:
On the Dilley Pro Bono Project: If you were inspired by the work being done there, here are some things you can do to help:
- Volunteer, or encourage your friends to volunteer, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a lawyer who speaks Spanish, this is a required trip, both for you and for the cause. If you know any lawyers who speak Spanish, tell them that they have to sign up for this program — as much for themselves as for their clients.
- Data entry team. If you are willing to do simple data entry, you can be of assistance!
- Remote Spanish-English Interpretation Provide remote Spanish-English interpretation for volunteers on the ground who don’t speak Spanish!
- If you do not have time, you can donate by clicking here: https://secure.everyaction.com/BS6Q9eElpEuRBxDyh9WxiA2?ms=CARA-Dilley_Artesia-OTG. The project is severely underfunded, and basic office supplies are often purchased by staff and volunteers out-of-pocket. You can also directly purchase items off the DPBP Amazon Wish List here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2NM5FBYOV8T4X.
- If you have neither the time nor the money, spread the word on social media!
- If you are an experienced immigration attorney, and you are really ready to dive in, DPBP is hiring a Managing Attorney: https://aic-1.jobsoid.com/j/16977/managing-attorney-dilley-pro-bono-project.
- If you’d rather work more locally, Liane’s organization has many volunteer opportunities available. You can start by checking their website here: https://www.catholiccharitiesnyvolunteer.org/.
Thanks to all of you, and see you at our next meeting, on February 14.