The April General Membership, Candidate Forum & Endorsement Meeting
held on Thursday, April 11th at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 83 Christopher Street, at 7:00 PM and will include a candidate forum for City Council Districts 1,2, and 3 as well as for the NYC offices of Comptroller and District Attorney.
The agenda is:
1. District Leaders Reports– Keen Berger, Jonathan Geballe
2. Endorsements. (VID members are qualified to vote at this endorsement meeting if they became a member of VID on or before Friday, January 11, 2013).
- City Council 3rd District
- City Council 1st District
- City Council 2nd District
- NYC Comptroller
- District Attorney – New York County
3. Report of Committee Chairs
- Campaign- Peter Crosta & David Kruger
- Fundraising- Marti Speranza and Nadine Hoffmann
- Technology- Nat Johnson & Lucia Fedora
- Voter Registration/Community Outreach- Celia Wu
- Earth Day Committee- Georgina Christ
- Resolution in Favor of Comprehensive Immigration Reform- Keen Berger
6. New Business
Information on Voting and Election Procedures
Please arrive early to check in and to receive your ballots
Below are selected excerpts from the VID Constitution
- “Any eligible person may become a sustaining member in good standing on payment of the annual dues prescribed for such members in this Article.” VID Constitution, Article III
- “A member in default of dues for one year or less may cure this default by paying both overdue and current dues, and on such payment the member shall regain all rights and privileges of membership.” VID Constitution, Article III.
- Each candidate for City Council has up to five minutes to speak
- Each candidate for NYC Comptroller and District Attorney has up to three minutes to speak
- VID members can speak for up to three minutes on behalf of each candidate
- Each candidate will take up to six minutes of questions
- There will be three vote counters, appointed by the President, in consultation with the membership.
- Voting is by secret ballot.
- Qualified members must be present to vote.
- In order for a nominee to be endorsed by the VID he/she must receive a majority of ballots cast. Anytime no endorsement receives a majority of votes cast then no endorsement is the position of VID.
- If no candidate receives a majority of ballots cast on the initial vote then there will be one more ballot and the second ballot will contain the names of the two nominated candidates with the most votes. No endorsement is always on the ballot. If no candidate receives a majority of ballots cast, or no endorsement receives a majority of ballots cast, then no endorsement is the position of VID.
- Balloting will occur each time all candidates for a given position have spoken. At 9:00 PM the ballot box will be opened for all positions that have not been voted on yet.